Sunday, May 1, 2016

Introducing Cornell Notes, getting going with Google Classroom, and checking in on the mini-assignment on Chief Donnacona's sons

I will begin this lesson off by showing you this video and then posing a question:



The Social Studies and the Mat, Design and Technology curriculum leaders, Byron Stevenson and Annelise Groen, worked with the Intermediate teachers to develop some ideas around Inquiry Based Learning.

One of the ideas that Byron pointed out as being key for ALL students was the ability to take notes.  He suggested a method called Cornell Notes.  I had never heard of it, but I am ready to introduce the students to them.  Here is a graphic, along with a YouTube video to introduce it:

from http://www.thecollegejuice.com/2015/08/note-taking-101-the-best-technique-yet/
We are now going to apply this method of note taking to a small section of the textbook and then jump into a series of lessons exploring some aspects of Canada's early fur trade.
 
Remember this special day?


Donnacona Assignment

Some of you may have questions about this and I will answer any questions you may have.  I have now posted this assignment on the Google Classroom site for Geography and History.  In an attempt to guide you in this work, I attempted to post another "parking lot" type activity on Google Classroom, but it would not let me attach a file.

I want to assess your understanding and, if needed, give you some feedback by posing these two writing prompts.  Your job is to fill in the blanks:  

I will create… to demonstrate my understanding of this assignment.  The two concepts that I think I will connect are … and ….

If I was a student and had to hand in my journal/diary entry from Ralph Lee, the Chinese Canadian elder who had the photo of the train spike, to my teacher, I may have written this:  

I will create a journal/diary entry to demonstrate my understanding.  Ralph Lee would have been frustrated by the discrimination and hard work he would have to do to pay back the $500 tax.  The two concepts that I think I will connect are Technology (the railway & Chinese workers) and Power (the government having the power to make this tax in the first place).

As you can see, it is not very long, but I would be able to see that this "student" appears to be on track with his work.  I am going to figure out how to post this question on the Google Classroom site, so you can complete it by Wednesday.

On a similar note, Harmony had a question about what Donnacona's sons might look like.  Even though the ideas and initial technology of the camera have been around since the times of ancient Greece, it wouldn't be until the 1800s that a functional camera would appear on the scene.  So, there was no way to take a photograph, back in the day of Donnacona's sons.  So, we are left with paintings.


In 2000, the CBC produced a series called Canada:  A People's History.  In one of the episodes, we saw a couple of actors portraying the sons.  Here is what a screenshot of them looks like:
from http://www.cbc.ca/history/EPCONTENTSE1EP1CH5PA3LE.html