Monday, February 20, 2017

Planet in Focus film project, Orff activities, introducing Badminton, some Algebra Homework help



The Grade 3 and Grade 6 class of Ms. Bernaus have teamed up to create a film for the annual Planet in Focus Environmental Film Festival (http://planetinfocus.org/).  At this point, we are in the planning and brainstorming stage of the project, but I will give you a little bit of a hint as to the idea we are exploring.

http://www.bu.edu/sustainability/what-were-doing/water/

Although the price appears pretty cheap, it is not, considering Nestle's cost is a fraction of what we pay!
Our cost= about $.22/litre
Nestle's cost = about $0.00000371/litre


I did some further calculations and wanted to see how many litres of water I could buy for $1.00.  If my Math was correct, I came up with this:


A litre is about this much:


A 250 000 litre container would look like this:
http://www.3diequipment.com/stainless-steel-storage-tanks/250000-litre-stainless-tanks/1886/

This information, based on Canadian data, will introduce us to the film we watched, The Story of Bottled Water.  



The Grade 3 and Grade 6 class of Ms. Bernaus have teamed up to create a film for the annual Planet in Focus Environmental Film Festival (http://planetinfocus.org/).  At this point, we are in the planning and brainstorming stage of the project, but I will give you a little bit of a hint as to the idea we are exploring.

Orff:

On Tuesday, I plan to put up the images from the Music class from a couple of weeks ago.  The class was split into small groups to create some sounds.  I will have to get more of the technical information tomorrow, but here are two photos of the sounds they mapped out, along with a short video of the presentations.





some music that Ms. Bunston wanted us to look at:



This particular music was used for the initial lesson a couple of weeks ago by Ms. Bunston.  Pay attention and you may remember one of the tracks you heard.



Here is the inspiration for the Art extension you explored:

Physical Education: Badminton

This is my first year where I am teaching Physical and Health Education to my own class.  Our next unit will be exploring Badminton.  As we get further into the unit, I will be learning more and sharing this with the class.


I am sure I will refer back to this video often.

Here is a sampling of the sport at its best.  This is the final from the Women's Gold Medal match from the 2016 Olympics:

Algebra Homework questions

For each of the questions, I will provide a brief summary of the steps involved in solving the question.  More time needs to be provided for you to work on the questions in class.  This is only fair, in case you have questions or need to the support of your peers or your teacher!

In all but 1 question, I have done a "check,"by plugging the value of the variable back into the original question to see if both sides balance.

This one requires us to isolate the variable (n) and get it by itself.  We do this by
subtracting 4 for both sides of the equation.

At first, this looks like more of a challenging question.  At first glance, we can't seem to get rid of the 22 to isolate the variable (t).  So, we have to eliminate the first subtract t by adding t.  When we do this, it must happen to the other side of the equation.  You will notice (on the third line) that we now seem to have the variable on the other side of the equal sign. At this point, you may flip the question around so it looks more like first example we have (above).  I can now proceed to solve the question as I have done.   

This question is similar to one pictured above.  For brevity, I will not type out all of the steps.  See if you can follow the logic.
A final example, where I did not do a "check."

Another example where the variables cancel each other out on the left side of the equal sign:



Have a pleasant evening.  We will look at the Homework questions and I will provide you some more time tomorrow for you to work in class.

Update: Paying attention to what the question is asking

Even though questions may look similar, what they are asking are often different.