Friday, February 17, 2017

Khan Academy & Algebra, Some revisions to a class note, and the Commutative Property

The Khan Academy was an online community created by Salman Khan for people to learn (https://www.khanacademy.org/).  As I was looking for examples of questions for the class, I noticed that they have some great videos and online tutorials.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra-home/alg-basic-eq-ineq/alg-intro-equations/a/introduction-to-equations
Originally, I had a really great Khan Academy page on the Math we will be starting, but I lost the WIFI signal and unable to find it.  Once I do, I will post it.  For now, since I think this is a good place to start, I will post this link on the right-hand side of this page.


Once I find the page that I was working with, I will repost it.

While we did watch the Math Antics video, Rob, who is the host, mentioned that we need practice what we have learned in the video.  I agree and this is what we will do when we come back on Tuesday.  It will be the aim to solve these sorts of questions using the operations of adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing.  The next video, by Rob, will look the last two operations I have listed.



In both videos (the first one may be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3XzepN03KQ)

You will probably here Rob talk about the Commutative Properties in the examples.  As you will see, some of the Algebra questions we do will be easier than others.  They are easier because of this simple rule which is this.

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/numbprop.htm
For the more visual among us:


I went back to the original two questions the students were to write in their books and made an adjustment.  It is also important to know that these examples follow the COMMUTATIVE PROPERTY.


I altered the way I set up the division question.  I used a fraction, which is consistent with most examples you will see in books and online.

Sometimes, when we do not have the ease of this Commutative Property, things become a little more challenging.  This will become a separate note and something we will explore a little more next week

Have a super long weekend!