Sunday, September 20, 2015

Looking at Toronto Geography from another point of view: Whose land? - NOW Toronto Magazine, First Story Toronto, and adding the Ojibwe names tof some Toronto streets some

Whose land? - NOW Toronto Magazine - Think Free

I often come across a number of articles I would like to post directly to the blog, but there is not always the link to Blogger.  I am doing some background reading to deepen the discussion we have been having in Geography class about Toronto.

Yes, I know, History is not supposed to start until some time in 2016, but I thought it was important to acknowledge who was here, in this city, prior to the development of the city that was showcased in the previous Geography lessons.  Toronto was a city built up by immigrants.



I also came across a site called First Story Toronto:  https://firststoryblog.wordpress.com/aboutfirststory/




There was also an app available for this site.  If you navigate around, you will find it for Android and Apple devices.  This excellent app (and website) has its origins in the 1995 when the First Story Toronto project, within the Native Canadian Centre on Spadina Ave., wanted to document and preserve the Aboriginal history in our city.

As I explored this site and read the article from NOW, I began to look for some more information.  I came across this, which I did not know about:



Exploring the History of Toronto is also the exploration of the city's Geography.  It is like the other side of a pair of shoes.

http://secageography.weebly.com/section-2-the-geographic-setting8.html
Actually, there is some logic to this.  The left shoe was made in the USA and right shoe was made somewhere in Asia.  Historically, Converse All-Stars were the quintessential American shoe.  But the study of some parts of Geography look at Regions and Movement.  Production of many popular shoes has shifted or moved to the East Asian region of the world.  

So, to pull it back to the original posts on Toronto's history, I am suggesting that the place we know now has not always been due to the movement of people and the way the land has changed.  In class, we talked about the filling of Garrison Creek as the city developed.  At the same time, it is crucially important to learn why a lot of Aboriginal history has been erased or ignored in this city. 

Both sides of the shoe are needed!

11:50 p.m. before Phase 3 begins.  I am out of here, for now.  I will return.



No comments: