Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Returning to Dweck, and Neuroplasticity

It is late in the school year, but it is never too late to talk about mindsets or ways of thinking, according to Carol Dweck.  As a recap, here are the two Mindsets that she outlines from her research:


I have not spent as much time on the Strength Based Resiliency project as I would have liked.  This is disappointing for me.  I became very overwhelmed with the limited time I had with the Grade 7s and 8s this year.  With a program like this, you need time to understand and savour the work.  So, I have decided to devote a fair bit of time, over the course of the year, to exploring some of the topics that I think are key to this project.

I picked up on a topic that is dear to my heart.  The chapter from the workbook is entitled "Growth and Fixed Mindset."  There were two videos attached to this lesson and a Reflection activity after.  I will post both of the videos.  For homework, the students will be complete a short Reflection exercise.  I thought this would happen today (Tuesday), but it will wait for another day.





In order to rethink or shift our way of seeing or acting, we may need to understand what Neuroplasticity is.  Think of it as your nervous system being flexible and able to make new connections. 

Here are two videos.  One is animated and the other, which I may have shown you before, is footage which uses the analogy of building a bridge as an example of what Neuroplasticity is like



Here are two videos.  One is animated and the other, which I may have shown you before, is footage which uses the analogy of building a bridge as an example of what Neuroplasticity is like.


One of the extension exercises from this chapter on Mindsets saw two students reading through a script where the characters were exhibiting characteristics of both mindsets.  

We will continue this on Wednesday.

The final test for Math, for the Grade 8s, will be tomorrow.  The detailed review of the questions will be discussed today (Wednesday).


No comments: