Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday

With the large number of students, and multiple schedules in the room, I keep working my way through the diagnostic path and getting a sense of the Strengths and Struggles for a number of students in Room 52.

One of the exercises is a piece of writing.  For homework, I posted the following:

As I mentioned last week, I try to model for the class what it is I want.  I began jotting a few points after school and added to this list as I went home.  From here, this initial planning will make it that much easier to begin writing my story.

By the way, the link for the Chris Hadfield videos of Zero Gravity aboard the International Space Station may be found here:  http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/videos/astronauts.html

Here is one of the videos:



I will provide some students with some time to share with their peers the ideas they came up with. The idea here is that the students may find some additional ideas to contribute to their planning.  We will then look at a couple of examples, in small groups, of these stories and have the students look at what makes that particular story good and generate a list before the students embark on their own stories.

I spent some time reviewing the School Code of Conduct along with the list of class expectations for Room 52.  We only began to look and discuss some of these matters, but feel free to continue the discussion at home.


One other piece of homework.  It is an extension of something we did last week on me understanding the Learning Styles of the Students.  It is a survey on Multiple Intelligence and I would like the students to do it at home with an adult.

Page 1 of the survey

It is not due until Thursday.  With a greater understanding of how your son or daughter learns, it will help me to become a better teacher for them.


No comments: