Monday, September 9, 2013

Tuesday: Resiliency

Today we began some discussions on being resilient.  This is a theme I would like to carry throughout the school year.   The students recorded a couple of definitions from the board:



I then shared one of my stories of demonstrating resilience and then explained what I wanted the class to work on:

Because this is going to the basis for a writing assignment, I asked the students to brainstorm 5 (or at least 3) examples of when they were resilient.  I provided them with an example:

To develop some of these ideas, each student will share one example during a Community Circle discussion tomorrow.  This is an example where students work on developing their oral language skills to provide details to what they are talking about.  Here is the framework:



For Math, the students began to work on a problem:  How long would it take to count to a million?  We each went through just how big a billion is.

We will go over this problem tomorrow and I will break down the steps to help the students understand it more.

HOMEWORK

Complete 5 jot notes for Resiliency writing assignment
Bring a book for quiet reading for tomorrow morning
Please bring in $6 for an agenda and all completed forms

Junior brought in his permission form.  Yay, his picture can be published:

Have a good evening.

No comments: