Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday :) Hey, where did the warm go?

I went back to the Math collage/scavenger hunt that the students created in the first week to create my own.  The purpose of the activity was to observe how often we see or use numbers in our day to day life.  I provided the students with a checklist of the numbers they were to look for.  Here is the image of the items I found.

I modeled this for them because I wanted to demonstrate the strategy of using a checklist to help focus the search and keep track of what items were found.

Another activity that I am trying out will integrate some Art and poetry.  The students will use a type of cloze or fill in the blank form of writing to create a personal story about themselves.  The students will work on a draft in their Language notebooks, share it with a peer, to ensure clarity, and then publish it (type it up, write a good copy).  I am hoping to introduce some Visual Art into the mix by having them paint one aspect or part of the poem.

Here is an image of the assignment, along with some of my own writing to help them along:


In the morning, we sometimes do a Journal entry or attempt a Problem of the Day.  Today, I posed a problem involving a problem facing Minnie.  Here is the question:

 We will review the answer on Monday, after I look through the notebooks where they did the work, but I will leave the viewers with a little hint to the solution.  Here is a similar problem, where I used myself as the main character to figure out how many combinations I could have with the following set of clothes:


 
HOMEWORK:
-  complete rough draft of the I am poem in Language Arts notebook
- have a look at the Blog
Enjoy your weekend.

No comments: