Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thursday

Sometimes it is easier to explain things with images and a few comments, so here I go.

If I have not already posted these images from a set of poems, which I suspect I may have, here they are:











These poems were done with a short message about what makes them special.  We will be doing another activity involving a Coat of Arms activity to add some more colour to the classroom.

The Grade 8s will be slowly thinking about what high schools they want to attend.  Our school counselor, Ricardo Rodriguez, gave me the information night dates for the following high schools in our area.

There are a few tutoring opportunities I would like to share with you:

This is a program aimed at students who speak either Spanish of Portuguese at home.  I sent this home with the students yesterday.  This is just the first page.   The name of the student has been blocked out.

Free online help with Math for Middle School through TVO (TV Ontario)
As time goes by, I am beginning to learn more about the students in Room 52.  Since they are in the HSP program, they receive more intensive support in Language and Mathematics.  It has been my aim to "chunk" the work into smaller parts.  Here are some of the images of our work from Math.

Homework completion on the board.  I do not correct homework, I only check it for completion.  The responsibility is on the student to check it and ask questions when they are uncertain.

Eric is pointing out a pattern he has noticed on the 100s chart about the multiples of 9.

Trine and Jessica playing some of the Math games involving Multiples and Factors.
Problem solving is an area many students have difficulty with.  I took an example from some class work we were doing and explained how it can be broken into smaller parts to help increase their understanding. 

 I collected the Language notebooks to check over the initial brainstorming for the assignment on creating Myths.  I will provide the students with some feedback and have them go ahead to complete the second portion of the planning.  Writing on the draft will not begin yet.

I finally put together the suggestions from the class on the Expectations for Room 52.  Here they are:
 Homework:

Grade 7:  p. 6a # 3, 4, 6a
Grade 8:  p. 6 # 5, 6, 10, 12


Thanks to those parents that dropped in during Curriculum Night in Room 52.  I wanted to add this photo about the logic behind the HSP program, as outlined by the Special Ed. department in the TDSB:

 

No comments: