Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First day of school!!

The first day is done.  Whew.
What a great class.  It may take me a while to get back into the blogging mode, but I will take one step at a time.  So, I will add some off comments, here and there to outline some of the things from today.

 This is a photo from the front board.  Everyday, I usually write up the activities the students will be doing, so they have a sense of direction.

UPDATE:  Since I do not have the Media Release forms from the students, I am not able to post photos on the blog.  So, I did manage to slip in a couple of secret shots of students doing an activity.  This one involved them interviewing another member of the class and then presenting them to the class:



There are many times when I try to take advantage of opportunities for learning.  As I was sharing my story about being undiagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder).  I asked anyone what the prefix "un" means.  I used the example of winding versus unwinding an object.  A student was able to explain this and then applied it to the word undiagnosed.   I looked online and found this page that I will share tomorrow:



I shared a couple of short stories with the class about the importance of positive thinking.  This is something I want to work on throughout the year and weave it into the other work we will do in the HSP class.  Here is one the stories:

The students wrote a journal response.  I will read them and provide feedback and engage with their ideas.  On Monday's post, I posted up a link to a welder, from Edmonton, who was told that he would not be able to become a welder because he was dyslexic.  Please have a read of this article from Monday's post.

** I forgot to post a copy of another story I read, in the same spirit as the one posted above.  Here it is:

Tomorrow, we will continue to work on name tags for our desks.  Here is an example of a tag that a Grade 8 student did for me last year:


HOMEWORK:
Please return all forms that need to be signed.  Please keep the copy of the first day newsletter that has the blog address and my email (marc.proudfoot@tdsb.on.ca)
The Grade 8s have Gym tomorrow

Have a good evening.

No comments: