Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

This is a late and short entry.
I will not be doing an entry tomorrow due to officiating at a Track and Field meet tomorrow.

I have to draw attention to the Tracking Chart that is in the back of the room.  Many members of the class cannot locate their agenda.  This is a really important item and used to keep track of assignments and homework.  I know I posted this last night, but I think it is important that it be seen again:

I have always used the mantra of one day at a time to emphasize that each item of work should be attempted and completed.  If help is required, the students know enough to ask for clarification.  I believe it is important  that the students learn to be responsible for their learning, especially as high school is just around the corner for a number of them.

The sentence homework, due today, was completed by a few students.  This is not acceptable, considering only five (5) sentences were requested.

I am going to add a couple of photos and explain why I am doing this:

The middle column is generally used with complex sentences while the last column is used with compound sentences.

Sorry for the blur.  This is an example of the guide words which appear on the page of a dictionary.  The words are infinite (first word) and informal (last word on the page).

This adds a little more detail to the 5 sentence homework that was due today.  On the side of the question are the words with the ow (long o) sound.




The Book Talk assignment was introduced today to the class.  Each of the members has been advised to have a book that they will use for this assignment.  The students are to read a "chapter book."  Our Library has an excellent selection of books for students of all reading abilities.  The official kick-off for the assignment will happen with me, Mr. Proudfoot, modeling what a Book Talk looks and sounds like.

There will be no homework on Wednesday night.

No comments: