Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Good morning.

 I have settled on a read-a-loud book.  It is the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I started reading it last May but I did not get through it.  It is quite an engaging read and the students -- many of whom have seen the film -- seem to be enjoying it.  Once we finish this book, we may be able to view the film in class.

The group completed a personal Coat of Arms.  This is an exercise I have been doing for over ten years.  It is a way for the students to add a personal touch to the class.  They typically stay posted up over the course of the year.  I will make a point of taking photos of them today.  Here is a shot of samples from former students.
A collection of excellent samples of work from some of my former students.
All of the writing diagnostic work has been completed. It will NOT be graded but used as a sample of writing that will be leveled.  By this, I mean it will be compared to other samples of writing work generated by students in Grade 1 - 8 in Ontario and assigned an approximate level.  This will give me a sense of how to program for the students based on their needs.

We have started the first Math Unit. It is on Place Value.

I am mindful of how much writing the students have to do and try to limit my definitions (of Math terms) to avoid overwhelming them with too much information.  This photos is a typical sample of what they might write in the notebook.

Before the unit began, I had an exercise where the students had to do some brainstorming about large and small numbers.  Some students DID NOT complete this work and need to hand it in.  I provided an example of how they could possibly begin the work:


My modeling the work, it can provide a hook for the students to get an understanding of what is expected of them.  I am going to use a strategy I used to use in the past in Math:  I will provide the students time in class to do work so they can work with another student and ask for help.  So, when they go home with homework, it will be easier for them to do it (being familiar with the work, feeling more confident).

IT IS CRUCIAL THAT THE STUDENTS TRY TO DO THE WORK.  WITHOUT ANY EFFORT, THE WORK WILL FEEL IMPOSSIBLE TO BEGIN.  HELP WILL BE AVAILABLE!!

Old School overhead.  Until the fancy Promethean board is mastered, I may use this to work with the class!

Please check and sign the agenda on a daily basis.  If there is no homework, the students will write this in.

Have a good day.

No comments: