Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday, September 27, 2012

HOMEWORK:  Double sided Math sheet on Base 10 blocks and Place Value for homework + a signed Math test from a parent or Guardian.


I had a 2 hour training on the Promethean Board in the classroom and went right to work on it!  The interactive element of it will make the learning more inviting and engaging for the students (not that it wasn't engaging before!)  I am hoping to make some links between the work we are doing on Place Value and some of the work the students in Grade 8 are doing.  I believe the use of the IWB (Interactive White Board) will assist in making this possible... we'll see.

The Math test -- returned yesterday -- was taken up in detail and I proposed the idea of Rewrites for the class:

An opportunity is provided for the student to reflect on his or her mistakes, explain what they did wrong, and correct the answer.  The answer is given half the value of the original mark, if it is done correctly.
A sample Rewrite from a former student in 2005

I had the students complete a Journal question based on something that worries them.  I have not read them yet but look forward to it.  As I usually try to do, I model how the answer might possibly sound or look.


 At the entrance to the class I have a couple of interesting notes and pictures.  One small, but noticeable poster reminds the students of what to bring to class.  For some of the students, they are off to high school next year and must learn the skills of being more independent.  For others, they are just getting used to the new paces of being an Intermediate students.  Either way, this visual reminder is good one.  I usually remind students about the chart before they come in!

 Have a great evening.

No comments: