Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ms. Tai dropped by the class today to see the Promethean board in action as we proceeded on our problem solving unit.  Here is the question that I posted (I noticed that I had made some errors when I was creating the question and solved them in the following image).
Using the model of KMWC (what you know, how you can model the problem, what the question wants you to do, and what information you can cross out), we began to problem solve in the class.
John and Monique volunteered to do the calculations involving conversion from millilitres to litres and the total amount of Coke in the six-pack.

I began this unit by getting the students to understand that most things we encounter on a regular basis are challenges or problems we may need to solve.  For instance, if I was an Electrician (which is what I would like to be if I wasn't teaching) and had to do some installations for Kenny, I would need to think about a few things.  I used the same KMWC template to guide my thinking.
 Just last night I had to do an emergency repair on my kitchen sink and had to do some quick problem solving (I know some basic plumbing, I took some photos to show the salesperson at Lowes, and needed to figure out what pipes and parts I need so I don't flood my kitchen).

rusted!










I did not get a chance to post the Science Centre photos but did find my cable in the class so I could upload them.  Here are some of the images:









In class we began an experiment using 4 candies placed in the identical volume of water (40ml) and vinegar.  In 2 of the cases, the candy was crushed and in the other 2, the candies were left whole.  For homework last night, which was not done by a number of students, they had to write an educated guess, or hypothesis, of what they think was going to happen.  It was to be done in a chart that they copied into their notebooks.

We will be concluding this lab on Monday.  Here are some photos:

The initial drop in the vinegar and water

About 30 minutes later
I recently took a photo of the homework tracking chart for you to see, not in any specific detail, how your son or daughter is progressing in relation to the work that is assigned on a regular basis.  Here is the photo.  Before the end of the school year, I would like to send home an informal Progress Report (one generated by Room 52) on the work habits since our Parent Teacher interviews about a month ago.  If you have any concerns or questions, please write me a note in the agenda or call me at the school.
 

HOMEWORK
- complete Rewrites for Monday 
- have your Math tests signed
- show parent(s) your Art/Writing mark
- complete hypothesis work  for four jars and candies
- re-read Malala article
Enjoy your long weekend.

eating 1 gram of mini marshmellows

group shot just off the bus near the Science Centre

sun reflection 1 from Room 52

sun reflection 2 from Room 52
 

No comments: