Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

For today's Community Circle, we are using a quote by Dr. King to contemplate his legacy.  I selected it because it relates to some of the character virtues and strengths I try to plug and talk about in class.

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” 

I have a slide that I used to contextualize this discussion.  I try to move the discussion in another direction when it comes to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  The conversation often stops along the lines of race, but I want the students to understand how the issues of poverty and justice were also on his radar.

 Here is a quote from a speech that Dr. King gave on poverty in America.  What is interesting is that the same speech could be given today in the US and to some degree, in Canada for some members of our society who are marginalized and treated poorly because they may be racialized and poor.

Here if the image I had up on the Promethean Board to add to direct the discussion:


No comments: