Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday, October 7, 2011



I did not think that the day would begin with an extensive conversation on the election or on the late Apple computer founder, Steve Jobs.  I will add to this blog, but here is a wonderful link to a speech given by him at Stanford University in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

I am not planning to show the whole speech to the class, but will highlight a few parts about finding something in life that you love and doing it.  It is about 8 minutes into the Youtube video.  The purpose of showing a part of this video was to listen to the positive message Mr. Jobs gave about seeking out something you love in life and doing that thing.  In light of our participation in the Resiliency project, I think this is a positive message and I hope something that the students will learn over the coming months:  How to identify the things in life which bring happiness to you so they can balance out the negativity which is so abundant.  

Our class participated in the Student Vote project (won, Provincially, by the NDP) and I wanted to continue that discussion about the election.  A number of students did not know very much about the election and I was encouraging them to talk with you about it.  I sketched some information on the board about the issue of Majority and Minority governments.  Talking about being active, as a citizen, is a positive life skill that I would like to stick with them.
The afternoon was spent reviewing some Math that we took up earlier in the day.  The fractions unit is becoming increasingly more challenging, but we will be doing a comprehensive review before any upcoming test.  The majority of students returned the Math test we had last week, signed by you.  Thanks for doing this.

In the afternoon, we had a presentation by the Inner Truth Taiko Dojo.  I managed to take one photo of them before they started playing and a voice recording I will attempt to upload.  The class was mesmerized by the performance and so was I!

This video is a little short.  I should have taken it when they were really hitting the drums with a lot of force and passion!

Have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.  The only homework involves reviewing the multiplication tables, the Math we took up in the afternoon and reading for 20 minutes/day for the long weekend. 

No comments: