Tuesday, July 20, 2021

mid Summer reflections: July 20, 2021

Hello.

My reflections, on this blog, have faded over the last three years, but I have never stopped thinking, pondering, and challenging myself and the students I work with.

I feel blessed to have marked my 25 years of Teaching (from the early days in the Etobicoke Board of Education in September 1995 to now) with such a wonderful group of Students in 8A in the Learning Centre 4 network in the TDSB.


I could exhaust a list of reasons how this year was quite challenging but discovering, the more I think, about a few of  the positive things that happened this year:

- finding virtual manipulatives online

- attending virtual field trips and watching films

- have engaging class discussions

- being able to do some Guided Reading work

- Students asking for help in the "Breakout Room" in ZOOM meetings

There were some very challenging moments, also.  Not being able to see the class -- while they could see me -- created a huge imbalance in power and energy flow.  It was often challenging to gauge how the students were responding to what was being taught.  I am sure this has a lot to do with being 12 or 13 and the hesitancy to ask questions during the lessons for a fear of sounding stupid.  Grappling with questions, though, is the key to understanding.

A new chapter begins in a little over a month.  I am no longer a Centrally Assigned Teacher and will be back, I hope, in a school building and excited about my new start as a Grade 8 Teacher after 26 years of doing what I love.  I remain grounded, humble, and open to the new learning ahead.



No comments: