Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Orange Shirt Day, Historical Concepts, and our first read aloud

Understanding the background of what Orange Shirt Day is key to having an understanding of how we can move forward on the path towards Reconciliation in Canada.


Orange Shirt Day is rooted in the story of Phyllis Webstad and what happened to her, when she wore an orange shirt to St. Joseph Mission Residential School.  Here is Phyllis Webstad explaining the significance of the day:


If I had my class in the Virtual Classroom, I would have spent some time getting to know them and probably getting a sense of what they already know about Orange Shirt Day and the legacy of Residential Schools in this nation.  Having this knowledge would allow for one possible framing of our discussion; taking stock of Student knowledge is key.

Understanding the legacy of Residential Schools can be framed around the Concepts of Historical Thinking that exist in the Ontario curriculum.   At this point in the year, we have not started looking at subject areas but I do not think it is too early to look at this way of thinking right now.  Here are the 4 concepts.  This is a shorter summary I created from the curriculum document.

From my reading regarding the teaching considerations for Teaching about Residential Schools, it pointed out that it is crucial that Students understand the legacy of Colonialism in Canada.  Additionally, it's important that Students know that there was and is still resistance to existing structures of Colonialism in Canada.




I am formulating an idea of a novel to read to the class (when it arrives) called Fatty Legs, written by Christy Jordan-Fenton & Margaret-Olemaun Pokiak-FentonI suggest this book because it introduces us to 8 year old Margaret Pokiak who embodies the act of resistance.  Goodminds.com is First Nations owned business and offer up the summary of the text:





For me, the character of Margaret embodies all of the concepts I have listed above, but I will need to buy and read the book.  Hey, I think I may have given myself an idea for our first read-aloud.  Here is a teaser of the first chapter, read by Christy Jordan-Fenton:

YouTube link


I look forward to meeting my Students and exploring and talking about Orange Shirt Day, even if it is not September 30.  In solidarity, resistance, joy and curiosity. UPDATE: I bought the book from Goodminds.






No comments: