Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A thought to consider, a letter to my June self, a journal entry, Growth Mindset....

A quote that made its way into a discussion last night.
http://lifehacker.com/5831343/everyone-is-a-genius
If there are any new users to the blog, you will see that a posting is usually a work in progress.  I often come back and add elements to it.

In Language, we will be working on refining some basic skills of writing sentences (Writing strand) before we cross strands into the worlds of Reading, Media Literacy, and Oral Communication.  Today, we will work on an activity, inspired by a former teacher of my daughter, called a letter to my June self.   looking to cross



This non-graded bit of work will be broken up into a pre-writing and final copy.  The pre-writing is to get your brain thinking about some possible ideas.  I like to provide some examples for my students when we do work in Language.  Here are two samples of the brainstorming:




Before we do that, there will be a journal entry to do today.


My sample (for encouragement):



The Journal Response book will serve different purposes and subjects.  For today, it will be for a short response from this clever book.






On the back of the schedule, I handed out yesterday, there was a copy of a chart on Growth Mindset, which was developed by Stanford University Psychologist, Carol Dweck.  I try to avoid the habit of handing out meaningless items to students so I will take a moment to explore this way of thinking by using this link to help:  https://ideas.classdojo.com/b/growth-mindset

The link to the class dojo page needed an account and I just created an account I will use with the class.

History

When you teach a rotary based-subject, the lesson often evolves from class to class.  The following issue, recently in the news, will be a launching point for us.  Here is one perspective and aspect of our first Prime Minister: 


In the end of August, the issue around John A Macdonald's name being attached to schools was brought up.  Here we have another perspective:


The themes and time frame of the issues explored allow for some overlap of the Grade 7 and 8 History program. 

A letter will be going home tomorrow! I am sorry for the delay!!

No comments: