Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday, June 8, 2012

Wow.  There is so much hear to comment on.  It is a very busy time as I prepare to update IEPs and complete report cards.

The other day, we had a Career afternoon with students from Central Tech (former AMG students) and people from the OYAP (Ontario Youth Apprentice Program) speaking to the Grade 8s.  Steven Moniz, a former AMG student and now a Carpenter and Certified Personal Trainer, spoke to the group about his process and then took the students through some exercises in the Gym.

Steve Moniz, Michael Cormier [Guidance, Central Tech], Mrs. DaSilva, Avery [Student Council President]




The Q & A session with the high school students was with Mrs. DaSilva.  The students wrote anonymous questions about high school (peer pressure, attending classes on time, bullying) and had the Central Tech students answer them.



Our experiments with probability continued.  There is a link to a game which is a nice review of Experimental Probability. The site escapes me but I will post it once I find it.  I want the students to have a hands on experience of experiencing Probability, so I took a portion from a JUMP book for the students to do. 
Initially, I think the layout of the worksheet confused the students and I have now revised it.  We will continue working on it on Monday.  The tests, from earlier in the week have returned.  I have requested that they be signed by a parent.

As we look at this, a few of the students started asking about the way the lottery works.  I pulled up this old Youtube video from Lottario from, I am sure, back in the 1980s.


Similarly to Probability is the concept of Odds, as in the odds of winning.  I went to the OLG (Ontario Lottery and Gaming) page to looks at the odds of winning.

We will not explore this topic in class but I thought it was fun to look at this Math reality of winning the lottery  that is, for many, impossible!

I did say I was going to post examples of the thoughtful journal entries from our film last week.  Here are the samples:

Johnson

Mathew

Sandro


The students will be bringing home 2 items of work for Geography.  They are not due on Monday and I will do a post explaining the papers I have sent home.  They were explained in class but I am sure there will be some questions.

Today, we watched a film on happiness but this is the kind of happiness where it is about an individual pursuing his own sense of being happy.

Enjoy the weekend.  Have a happy one.

At our Portugal Day celebrations, a famous Family Channel actor showed up and Mathew borrowed my phone to snap a couple of photos.  Here they are:
John [future student]


John and Mathew


One more thing:  Here is Lia's poster illustrating her 5 Strengths:

No comments: