Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Monday, February 27, 2012

Mr. Moye began the day by talking with the students about the lunch hour House league he will be setting up for the Grade 7 and 8 students.  I get the sense that the TDSB Physical Education department is thinking about how they can play a bigger role in encouraging students to be healthier.

As part of his talk, Mr. Moye also spoke about the healthy cooking program that each Senior division would be taking part in.  I get the sense that they are trying to create life long learners in terms of body awareness and being healthy.  The sign up sheet for floor hockey was given to me.  I know, as a class, we will be cooking a healthy meal at some point, but I am not sure when this will be.

The class had Music with Mr. Chung today.  During Community Circle, I notice that students are doing a better job at using the "Success Criteria" chart to frame their stories from the weekend.
 
ignore the second "when" it has been crossed out on the updated chart
We did not get around to the subtraction lesson which involved re-grouping or borrowing.  There was a short quiz on subtraction (without borrowing) and everyone passed it.  As for the issue of regrouping,  I downloaded some lessons from the SMARTBoard lesson plan site, which I will use with the class. 

To introduce the topic,  I decided to do with the class was create a Think-Pair-Share activity.  This presented a problem for the pairs of students to solve.  I let them use Base 10 materials to answer the following question:
Base 10 manipulatives
There were a few groups which shared their ideas with the class about how to solve the question.  I will review it again tomorrow with the group, along with taking up the homework.  I tried to upload the videos but was unsuccessful. 

Hoomework:  Complete p. 25 of the Math sheet

No comments: