Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I have added a link to the site for Teaching Kids News.  It is a free, Canadian resource to discuss current events with your son or daughter.  I have used this before and it is accessible for the students.

Of the many things we did today, the class did a diagnostic assessment (a "test" that does not count for marks and lets me know what the students understand) for time.  Time is part of the measurement unit and an important life skill.  I am aware that students are often equipped with digital watches and smartphones, but I believe the skill in being able to read a analog clock is invaluable.

Most of the students in the class have now found a novel to read for the Book Talk. I have a book, pictured below, that I will model for the class about how to create a Book Talk.  I have tried to load the Microsoft Photostory application on my computer, but I was unsuccessful with this.  For homework, the students need to complete jot notes for the first chapter of the book they are reading.  This is to be done in the Language notebook.

Some of the students still needed to exchange books for titles that they were able to read and comprehend.  If you have a moment, please ask them about the book they are reading and have them read a small portion of it to you.

Even though it is mid-week, we started to talk a little bit about Holocaust Education Week.  We began our discussion by finding out how much the class knew on the topics of The Holocaust and Genocide.  Here is what we  have come up with so far:
Underneath the words are more technical definitions of the words which we will subsequently explore.  The topics are heavy and it is my hope to offer some balance to it by emphasizing the resiliency of the survivors and the support and hope offered by those who worked in solidarity with the oppressed. 

Homework:  Jot notes for Chapter 1 of BTB (Book Talk Book)

No comments: