Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

All of the students have returned their Media Release forms and it is okay to start uploading images of the students at work and at play in Room 52.

As the year continues to evolve, we are returning to some of the routines that I have followed in previous years which have proven successful.  Every morning we start of with quiet reading.  I am going to add in a journal response, from time to time, to see how well the students are comprehending the material they are reading.

The class had Gym today.  They have Gym on Day 1, 2, and 3 and have Health class from time to time.
In Math, I am undertaking the exciting challenge of introducing the class to Fractions.  As part of this unit, we are reviewing the multiplication table for the numbers 2, 3, and 5.  We had a quiz today where 88% of the class scored 100% and the lowest mark was 70%.  Tomorrow, I plan to make the quiz a little more challenging before we move on to working with shapes and looking at different types of fractions.

In less than two weeks time, we will be having a Scientist in the School visit our class to do a unit on fractions; it should be very exciting. 

The majority of the class completed their rough and final copies of "letters to Mr. Proudfoot".  I have the students write to me and this provides me with information about the level of support they may need in writing. This piece of work is not graded.  I respond to all of the letters and the students really enjoy this process.

From Monday to Thursday, the students do cursive after they return from lunch.  I find this calms the students and, from what I have read, it supports neural (brain) development. http://www.helium.com/items/1697736-cursive-handwriting One thing I do like about this exercise is that it encourages the students to slow down and pay attention to the task at hand.

I am experimenting with the reading of Lois Lowry's The Giver.  I am not committed to using this book as a novel for the class.  It is a complex book, but contains many complex ideas that I will elaborate on if we continue to read it.  A brief description of the book may be found at this Chapters Indigo website:  http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/The-Giver-Lois-Lowry/9780440237686-item.html?cookieCheck=1

It is quite unfortunate that we have no rotary in the afternoon and the students are with me for an extended period of time.  In order for us not to go entirely "mad", I have instituted an afternoon break.  It provides an opportunity for the kids to release some energy and they often return to class, for the last hour, more focused and ready to work.  I have taken some photos over the past couple of days and will continue to add to the blog and, eventually, post them up in the classroom.




No comments: