Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday, May 9, 2011

Snack and quiet reading started off our day. Today was the first day where I did not have to mention that it was time to read!  Most of the students got to work right away.
In preparation for the Pyramid of Hate workshop, we did a journal response asking students to think of what the word "hate" meant and to think of a time when they were called a hurtful name and how that felt.  The model for the pyramid, in case I have not posted it, looks like this:
I will return to this model and follow up on the activities explored in the workshop.  You should ask your sister or brother, or daughter or son about what they learned today.  I think this activity is relevant for all students.  The students in Room 52 are deemed "exceptional" but it can also mean, for some, that they are a certain way.  I want the students to see that difference is not a negative or a stigma.

The afternoon period saw the Grade 7s and 8s take turns participating in the workshops.  They had to write a post journal response to the workshop.  I plan to read those this evening.

Homework:  Read for 20 minutes

It is very important that you check the agendas to see if their is homework.  Sometimes none is assigned, but I have noticed that some students are not completing, or even starting, the homework. Thanks.

No comments: