Saturday, September 28, 2019

Recaps from 2018-2019: Student Parliament/Student Voice @ Ryerson PS

Before I begin, if you don't already know, I enjoy taking photos with my phone and those shots may end up in a post.

One of the key things in the role of being a Student Success Teacher rests with the abilities to connect with students and have them engaged with their learning.  Key to this is having them talk and make sense of things.

At Ryerson PS, one of the first learning experiences I had was with a group of Grade 8 students who were preparing for speeches for the Student Parliament elections. 


I can't quite remember all of the details of the lesson but I remember playing a game, as a mind-on exercise to activate some ideas around Speeches and then spent some time looking at samples of Speeches from YouTube.  As they did this, they had this placemat to jot down their observations. 

























It is not my intention to post all of the videos we looked at but here is one that really stood out.
It became an example of what we should avoid doing.


I know that my colleague at Ryerson will be assisting with the Student Parliament speeches this year and will be using Greta's Thunberg's powerful speech as an example of what could be done to fashion a powerful and engaging speech.



As a class, we went through the placemats and each group was able to generate what they thought were the most important aspects for writing and delivering a speech.  The goal in mind was to develop a Success Criteria chart to help guide the students. 

On one side, were the rough notes after our discussions and debriefing and then the final chart, in its polished form.
As I skim through some photos from last year, I will come across another lesson that I feel is worthy of sharing and engaging with.  This process also serves as a reminder of what  I need to remember, when supporting students the students I do.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.





No comments: