Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Proudfoot History sample, another Integer question, Homework tracking chart, facing obstacles and avoiding Kryptonite

History:


Mr. P's sample of the first three stages of the History Inquiry.  Note the brainstorming and questions and the answering of questions.  All of my sources have been recorded on a Google slideshow that I will share with the class. 

Math:

Another Integer example involving subtraction

Making a case for the importance of Learning Skills and Work Habits:

A number of students are probably not aware of work they have not completed.  By using the agenda, some of these concerns could be dealt with.  The class tracking chart (documenting most of the graded assignments) is up and running.  I really wish I had this up during the Parent/Guardian conferences, but I did not.


I intentionally made it blurry.  The main thing is that the Xs represent items not handed in, while the  :) have to do with completed work that has been handed in.  In my 15 years of using this chart, I have never seen so many Xs.  THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE.

Not to despair, things can change.  One student, this afternoon, completed two assignments and received 2 "happy faces."  It may seem overwhelming, but I have a suggestion, given to me by a former Vice Principal.

When it seems like you have soooooooooooooo much work to do, just take it one step at a time.  Instead of seeing all of the work you have to do -- which may have piled up on you and you will eventually get to -- try to see the work in a column and not a row.  That way, you only see 1 thing at a time that you can take care of and, hopefully, not become too overwhelmed. 

This video is worthy of mentioning.  It is not about being a Level 4 student.  I do not expect that from you, but I do expect you to approach your learning with an open mind, some desire, and effort.    Please have a look at this:  https://vimeo.com/201720747.

You may not feel like a superhero every day.  No one does, but do your best, ask for help, and work hard to avoid things with Kryptonite in them.
from https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/467178161330945001/

No comments: