Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday, March 9, 2012


Before I continue, I wish everyone a happy and safe March Break.

In preparation for our Dance and Movement performances we have spent some time in class rehearsing, along with me modelling  an example of what is expected from the class.  Even though we did not perform today (the Math test took longer than expected), the students will be able to rehearse over the Break and we will perform them once we return.  I am going to attach how the performances will be evaluated so the students can look at it over the Break.
Evaluation Dance and Movement
 

































The IEPs went home on Wednesday along with two letters explaining how the document works along with details about the Strength Based Resiliency project.  That project will begin after March Break and I will find a way of integrating into the Language expectations outlined in the IEP.

A new Math strand will begin once we return. As I mentioned in some previous blog entries, we will be winding up our short Number Sense unit with a subtraction test.  For homework this week, we had some word problems involving subtraction.  We spent some time reviewing how to approach word problems.  Students often find this difficult.  Here is the format we used to "break down" a problem solving question:
So, Math, to a degree, becomes a form of reading comprehension and encourages some critical thinking by breaking down something into smaller parts.

Although I have not looked at them yet, I have journals to assess from our discussion on IWD (International Women's Day).  Using the SMARTBoard, we brainstormed some ideas and then did a journal response on a woman, in their lives, who have been important to them.  To assist them with their response, I used a writing prompt to help them start.
Emphasis on details to explain
some ideas from the SMARTBoard















In my years of teaching, I have always said that the school year races by once March Break is over.  Spring is a really nice time of year and I look forward to some more outings with the class.  For now, it is time for a rest.
Homework:  The TDSB does not allow for homework over school breaks.  I did not assign any new work.  Only the Dance and Movement performances were pushed until after the March Break.  Page 5 of the IEP needs to be returned along with the  Grade a photo money  need to be back by March 21.  Scholastic orders are due on Monday, March 19.


-

No comments: