Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This compilation of materials on the board is meant to be a process of explaining how to put together the Book Talk.  I am trying to model the process for the class, even though they began the project with Ms. Wills. On the left side of the board are my jot notes and my second draft of the beginning portion of the book I read.  I plan on reading the summary to them so they can hear the difference a second draft makes.  In my first draft, I wrote at a Grade 2 level and then produced a second draft at a Grade 5 level.  Grade levels are approximate and informed by looking at the Ministry of Education Writing rubricshttp://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/elementary/writing18ex.pdf

The middle and end portion summaries for the books they read for their book talk are due tomorrow.  While they students will be working on this for the next two to four periods in the Library, I want them to be ready for the double period we will have with Ms. Wills on Thursday.  I will present my Beginning and Middle portion of the Book Talk, using the Photostory program, tomorrow.

Unfortunately, half of the class did not complete the homework for last night.  This habit of not completing the work generated a discussion about the report card Learning Skill of Responsibility.  For a few members of the class, they felt that their Learning Disability may prevent them from doing some of the work the "regular" students do.  This point was disrespectful towards the learners in the class who do complete their work and work hard.  I do believe that many of the students in the class have challenges with what they do but are very hard workers with a positive attitude and spirit.  I  think it is important that these conversations happen.  Other students spoke up in the class to add to the discussion.

A detailed review was done of the Math quiz done late last week.

Tomorrow we will take a crack at doing a test, which is very similar to the one they already wrote.  They will be allowed to review in the morning and ask any questions they need to.

HOMEWORK:  Prepare for Math quiz, complete middle and end section summaries for Book Talk

No comments: